Research Apprenticeship Profile: Molly Bergum
CFANS freshman Molly Bergum has a strong interest in learning more about the water that we drink. "I'm really interested in studying freshwater sources because their security is crucial to the health of the environment and human population. In Minneapolis, our drinking water is sourced from the Mississippi River, so learning more about how we are affecting it is critical." Upon graduation, Bergum hopes to enter graduate school for environmental toxology.
Name: Molly Bergum
Major(s)/Degree(s): Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management
Faculty Advisor: Jacques Finlay
School Status: Freshman
Graduation Year: 2020
What project are you currently involved in?
We are studying the dissolved organic matter in the Mississippi to learn more about how varying precipitation levels affect dissolved organic carbon concentrations and compositions.
Why are you interested in this project?
I'm really interested in studying freshwater sources because their security is crucial to the health of the environment and human population.
What do you hope to accomplish with this project?
I hope to learn more about the connection between precipitation and dissolved organic carbon in order to better understand carbon cycling in rivers.
What do you wish others would know about the project/problem you are working with?
In Minneapolis, our drinking water is sourced from the Mississippi River, so learning more about how we are affecting it is critical.
What are your plans after graduation?
My tentative plans are to go to graduate school for environmental toxicology.
Why did you decide to participate in the RAP program?
I wanted to gain experience with research early in my time at the U of M so that I can continue doing it for multiple years.
- Alumni Spotlight: Lars H. Loberg '05
- Harry Kaiser '81 '85 & Robert Myers '86 named 2017 AAEA fellows
- Dana Allen-Tully '96 '01 recognized at Gopher Dairy Club Banquet
- Natural Resources Conservation Services names Brittany Hummel '06 District Conservationist
- Lucas Sjostrom '09 '15 named Executive Director of Minnesota Milk Producers Association
- Mississippi Mushrooms and founder Ian Silver-Ramp '10 featured on WCCO
- Rebecca Leighton '15 starts campus food pantry