CFANS Alumni & Friends eNews - September 2014
Randall Peterson is a 1986 graduate who studied agricultural education, agricultural economics and animal science at CFANS. He went on to complete an M.A. and Ph.D. in educational psychology, and is now Professor of Organisational Behaviour at London Business School. His research interests are leadership in work teams, personality and leadership success and management team decision making.
- University of Minnesota Entrepreneur/ Start-Up Alumni Network Kickoff
Wednesday, September 10, 7:45 - 9 a.m., Carlson School Atrium
Join fellow University of Minnesota alumni for the launch of the University of Minnesota Entrepreneur/Start-Up Alumni Network featuring a panel of Twin Cities top entrepreneurs. The Entre/Start-Up Alumni Network helps University of Minnesota alumni build connections and share ideas around entrepreneurial endeavors. The network builds pride for both the entrepreneurial community in Minnesota and the University. A light breakfast will be served.
- Celebrate Ag & Food Day
Gopher football vs. San Jose State
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Show your support for Minnesota agricultural and food industries at a Gopher football game this fall! CFANS alumni and friends may purchase tickets at the discounted rate of $15 per person (regular price $30). Join the event on Facebook for updates!
Join us during homecoming week, October 12 - 19, 2014, for one (or all!) of the many fun activities we have planned:
- Run/ walk in the Norman Borlaug Homecoming 5k on the St. Paul campus
- Join us for our 3rd annual Beer & Brats Parade Party at the Bell Museum with FREE admission & brats, a cash bar, fun activities for all ages, and premium parade viewing space from the Bell's lawn on University Avenue
- Tailgate with CFANS before the game
- Send a Gopher Gram to a CFANS faculty or staff member
- Engage in fun contests with CFANS Alumni & Friends on facebook
See our homecoming page for all of the details, registration links, to purchase tickets to the game, and more!
Spread a little homecoming cheer and send a "Gopher Gram" to your favorite professor, advisor, or staff member from CFANS. Gopher Grams will be collected through October 12, then delivered to CFANS faculty and staff during homecoming week. Take a minute now to send your message!
Gopher Homecoming is celebrating 100 years this October and we'd love to know how many of our CFANS alumni have been royalty over the years so we can share the stories and highlight them during the Homecoming parade. Were you Homecoming royalty? Perhaps you were even King or Queen back in your day? Please let us know!
The University of Minnesota Alumni Association will honor its outstanding alumni volunteers, groups and programs at the 2014 Alumni Awards Celebration in the McNamara Alumni Center on Thursday, October 16. Congratulations to the three honorees from our CFANS community.
Sarah Dornink, CFANS Mentor Program co-chair
“If you want happiness for a lifetime, help the next generation.”-Chinese Proverb
As students are returning to campus, we are once again offering the CFANS Mentor Program. As one of this year's co-chairs, I would like to invite you all to participate in this rewarding program.
Created by the University of Minnesota, the Minnesota Nursery & Landscape Association and the MNLA Foundation, the award annually recognizes a young individual whose innovation in private enterprise has positively influenced one or more horticulture and/or green industry businesses in the region. Nominations due November 15. See criteria and details regarding nominations on the MNLA website.
Read the latest about events, lectures and seminars happening on campus and in partnering departments as well as student and faculty news. Features this month:
- Updates from the CFANS International Agriculture Showcase event
- CFANS student, Jeni Haler, is crowned Princess Kay of the Milky Way!
- Upcoming events at the Arboretum
- Upcoming events at the Bell Museum of Natural History
- 2014 Kolshorn Lecture and Fisheries, Wildlife & Conservation Biology Awards
- Chris Phillips joins the Department of Entomology faculty
News and notes from our amazing CFANS alumni! Features this month:
- Gary Anderson ('86) joins CHS senior leadership team
- Jerry Cegelske ('74) to receive inaugural Fisheries, Wildlife & Conservation Biology Distinguished Alumni Award
- Don Pereira ('92) receives presidential nomination for Commissioner, United States Section of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission
- Leah Sample ('13) wed Andrew Rynda in New Ulm
The Joyer family welcomed Logan Vincent on April 23, 2014. He joins his big sisters, Riley (7) and Avery (5), as golden gopher fans. Logan's parents are Tammy and Brian ('01, B.S. Animal Science; '07, M.Ed. Agricultural Education) Joyer.
This month we remember the lives and accomplishments of two members from the CFANS community who will be missed by many.
- Christian Thill, a potato breeder, plant geneticist, and associate professor from the Department of Horticultural Science.
- Arthur P. Fischer, an alumnus in food science and technology, who spent a 30 year career with General Mills and became a world-traveling volunteer and advocate in his retirement.
The monthly alumni trivia question gives alumni and friends an opportunity to test their U of M knowledge. Are you up for the challenge? All responders with the correct answer will be entered in a pool and the prize winner selected by random draw.
September trivia question: Gopher Homecoming celebrates 100 years this coming October! During one of those past 99 years, the U of M Homecoming Parade was actually billed as the world's longest - at 2 miles long and 170 cars and floats. What year was this?
Underwater speakers have been mounted on the downstream lock gate of Lock 8 on the Mississippi River in an effort to keep Asian carp from invading waters farther north. The effort is led by Fisheries, Wildlife & Conservation Biology professor Peter Sorensen.