CFANS Alumni & Friends eNews - May 2015
Jonathan Shaver received his M.S. ('95) and Ph.D. ('97) in Plant Breeding. He's been a research scientist, a professor of plant and soil sciences and and also biology, and he now owns his own business, Envision Partners. In his current role, he uses his scientific background and his passion for people to help others in advanced agricultural technology companies to grow and develop professionally. Learn more about Jonathan!
- Siehl Prize Ceremony - May 21
- Saint Paul Arbor Month Event - May 30
- Emerging Professionals Network with the Saint Paul Saints - June 22
Wednesday, May 13, 4:30 - 6 p.m., Room R350 LES building
Facebook event page.
Gain access to behind-the-scenes information on Italy's treasures: traditional agriculture, wines and food, presenced by CFANS associate dean, Mike White. Indulge in an olive oil tasting and Italian hor d'oeuvres, and engage in an Italian language and gesture mini-workshop led by the U of M Italian Language Department. Participants will also learn about an opportunity to put their language skills and knowledge to use through the CFANS Alumni Global Learning Adventures to Italy.
Please RSVP by May 7; space is limited to 40.
The CFANS Alumni Society and CFANS Student Board co-hosted this special annual recognition event on Wednesday, April 22, in the North Star Ballroom of the St. Paul Student Center. The evening honored the graduating senior class, Alumni Society scholarship recipients, Mentor Program honorees, and the recipients of the Student Board Awards and Alumni Society Awards. It was a memorable evening that recognized some incredible individuals - thank you to everyone who joined us in the celebration! See the 2015 honorees and photos from the event.
Congratulations to the outstanding CFANS faculty, staff, and students who are this year's recipients of the college-level awards. Award recipients will be recognized at the college assembly on Tuesday, May 12 in the Cargill Building from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
- Distinguished Teaching Award: Undergraduate Faculty
Undergraduate Tenured: Douglas Mashek, Department of Food Science and Nutrition
- Distinguished Teaching Award: Graduate Faculty
Graduate: Terry Hurley, Department of Applied Economics
CFANS alumni and friends honored at annual Borealis Night of Excellence
Lend your Saturday morning - on May 30, June 13, June 27, July 25, August 15, September 26 and/or October 24 - to introduce a group of elementary and middle-school students to sustainable agriculture and the food system. CFANS seniors Lila Westreich and Trent Tracanna are partnering with the MN Food Association and Big River Farms to host these sessions, which will be divided into four parts, focusing on the plant life cycle and anatomy, animals on the farm, soil importance and makeup, and the skills needed to be a farmer. Volunteers will help facilitate youth programs. No previous agricultural knowledge is necessary - training will be provided. If you are interested in volunteering or have any questions, please do not hesitate to email or call Laura Hedeen at the MFA at 651-433-3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Horst’s efforts to discover and highlight the health benefits found in nature will continue on in the HMR Pollinator Project. This three-part project with the University of Minnesota Bee Lab will create an expansive pollinator habitat on the Horst M. Rechelbacher farm in Osceola, Wisconsin. The sanctuary will include organic pollinator gardens and sustainable farm plots and extensive acreage of habitat for wild bees, butterflies, birds and bats. More...
- Bell Social: Curious Creatures After Dark
Friday, May 8, 7 - 10:30 p.m.
- a preview of new works by & conversation with our artists in residence
- a special MCAD exhibition of student works inspired by Bell collections
- a mini Café Scientifique on cassowary conservation
- ExploraDome planetarium shows
- live music in the diorama halls from The Cactus Blossoms
Read the latest about events, lectures and seminars happening on campus and in partnering departments as well as student and faculty news. Features this month:
- Career & Internship Services for new graduates!
- Gopher Road Trip Chalk Talk 2015
- U of M Foundation Estate and Gift Planning Strategies Seminar
- Support scholarships for the FWCB field session!
- Registration open for 17th Annual Minnesota 4-H Foundation Golf Classic
- Registration open for the 2015 Gopher Dairy Camp
- Morrine Omolo awarded prestigious Faculty for the Future Fellowship
- Jeffrey Peterson named director of the Water Resources Center
- Dan Cariveau joins Department of Entomology faculty
- Three of the new Minnesota FFA officers are CFANS students!
- 7th Annual Minnesota Spring Junior Classic
- Team OptiMN wins Race to Zero Challenge
- U of M Student NAMA chapter takes 6th place overall
- U of M team wins IFTSA College Bowl regional title
This month we remember the lives and accomplishments of two members from the CFANS community who will be missed by many:
- Harlan (Bud) Finney, a retired faculty member from the Department of Soil, Water, and Climate
- Jerrold (Jerry) Tesmer, a role model for Agricultural Extension Educators
News and notes from our amazing CFANS alumni! Features this month:
- Lee DeHaan ('01, Ph.D) is among 3 appointees to School of Agriculture Endowed Chair in Agriculture Systems
- Alison Bunge Leathers ('09, B.S.) graduates with M.S. in Agricultural Sciences
- Sangeetha Gummadi ('11, B.S.) joins Midwest Dairy Association & Minnesota Milk Producers in new role
- Luke Nicols ('12, B.S.) is awarded a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship at Shanhai University for Finance and Economics, and is also part of the winning design team in the Minneapolis PARKLOT competition
The monthly alumni trivia question gives alumni and friends an opportunity to test their U of M knowledge. Are you up for the challenge? All responders with the correct answer will be entered in a pool and the prize winner selected by random draw.
May trivia question:
Solar energy installations are growing in number across the state, and they may provide an opportunity to create more pollinator habitat for the honey bees and butterflies that desperately need it! About how many acres will be dedicated to new solar farms in Minnesota over the next two construction seasons? More...
You can purchase CFANS-made dairy and meat products right here on the St. Paul campus! Dairy product research on campus dates back to the early 1900s, and the researchers here were instrumental in developing procedures for making blue cheese in the U.S. The U of M was also the first university in the U.S. to have a meat laboratory built in 1901. Visit the dairy and meat products salesroom every Wednesday between 2 - 5 p.m., room 166 Andrew Boss Lab of Meat Science. Stock up on products such as icecream, cheese, beef, lamb, pork, poultry, burgers, brats, sausage, salami, and more! More information.