- The team that will lead the design of the new Bell Museum and Planetarium has been selected. Perkins+Will will serve as lead architect of the project, Gallagher and Associates will contribute planning and design expertise, and Evans and Sutherland will assist with designing the digital planetarium. Michaud Cooley Erickson will provide engineering services. The $57.5 million project will be build on the southwest corner of Larpenteur and Cleveland on the edge of the St. Paul campus, and is expected to open in the summer of 2018. Read the full article.
- Pilot an internship program and get funding support!
Career & Internship Services has received a $137,700 Career Ready Internship Grant from the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation to fund unpaid internship opportunities and help organizations start new internship programs. If you have considered starting an internship program in the past, now is a perfect time to pilot it! Contact CIS Employer Relations Coordinator, Sheron Heron (email@example.com; 612-624-2710), with any questions.
- Pollinators3: Pesticides & Other Problems
Thursday, March 26, 2015, 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.,Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Examine the science behind pesticides and pesticide use in the Midwest. Explore the data on neonicotinoid levels in plants, flowers, soil, food and water. Explore the effects of pesticides on ecosystem processes and learn from new Midwest research showing the potential effects on bees, birds, beneficial insects, and even humans. In addition to a wealth of information, participants will take home packets of pollinator-friendly seeds. Details.
- Save on Summer Fun for Kids, Arboretum Style!
Arboretum children's programs (available for preschool through 8th grade) combine nature, science, learning, discovery and garden/plant adventures. Programs are managed and facilitated by professional educators who understand how to engage and inspire children while having fun! Many of our programs sell out quickly, so we recommend registering soon. Pick up a Kids Summer Program Guide at the Arboretum Visitor Center, or email a request for one to be mailed to you to ArbEdu@umn.edu. To view available programs, hover over the "Children and Families" icon at the bottom of the screen here. COUPON: receive $5 off any Arboretum children's program! Use coupon code CFANS2015 at checkout. Not valid with other offers, not valid on previous purchases, limit (1) use per customer, expires May 30, 2015.
- Registration open for Bell Museum day camps
Science Discovery Day Camps offered by the Bell Museum provide fun opportunities to explore science and learn with hands-on, inquiry-based activities. Led by the Bell Museum education staff, camps include classroom and labratory activities, ExploraDome planetarium visits, and outdoor exploration and recreation. Details.