- Frances Homans has accepted the position of department head for Applied Economics and the division of Agricultural Education. Homans has served as interim head since August 2013, and has been a faculty member in the department of Applied Economics since 1993. Her research expertise is in natural resource economics with applications to regulated fisheries, conservation, and invasive species management.
- Registration is open for the 2015 Minne-College, February 28, in Scottsdale, Arizona. Brought to you by the U of M Alumni Association, Minne-College brings together exciting, innovative, and ambituous program leaders to share their stories and vision. Our own Mark Seeley will be this year's keynote speaker, and Horticultural Science professor, Brian Horgan, will also present on sustainability in the golf industry.
- Registration for University of Minnesota Youth Programs weekly day camps opens February 9 at 6 a.m. Camps are for ages 5 - 15 and include Minnesota Sport Schools, Kids' University, Discovering "U" and Gopher Adventures. Mix and match your camp choices week by week as desired. Camp dates are June 9 - August 21, Monday - Friday.
- The 2015 U of M Job and Internship Fair will be Friday, February 20, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the Minneapolis Convention Center. This is the largest student career fair in Minnesota and is open to all U of M degree seeking undergraduates, graduate and professional students, certificate students and alumni from 2012 - 2015. Registration is $10 for those who register online by February 17, or $25 at the door. See details.
- Celebrate the great outdoors and starry skies with a Valentine's Day Picnic at the Bell Museum! Saturday, February 14, 6 - 9:30 p.m. Reserve your very own diorama for a picnic and night of special "Across the Universe" programming for a unique Valentine's Day experience. Diorama reservation is $40 - $70; tickets $15 per person. .
- The 2nd Annual 4-H celebration of Minnesota Agriculture will be February 21, 5 p.m., at the Earle Brown Heritage Center in Brooklyn Center. Celebrate the impact of Minnesota 4-H and agriculture at this gathering of statewide friends and supporters! For more information, and to RSVP, visit the event website.
- Is your organization interested in starting an internship program this spring? Career & Internship Services has received a $130,700 Career Ready Internship Grant to fund unpaid internship opportunities from the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation. For support in starting your program, call CIS Employer Relations Coordinator, Sharon Heron, at 612-624-2710.
- The Phoenix Ag Club's Annual Outlook Meeting will be February 19 in Scottsdale, AZ. The day's presentations feature topics such as strategies to reduce food insecurity, food production sustainability, and innovative models to support healthy food access. See the schedule and registration details.