CFANS Alumni & Friends eNews - August 2015
Lana Olson earned her B.S. ('08) in Animal Science which gave her the foundation to share the message of animal agriculture with a wide audience! She currently works as a Senior Account Executive at broadhead and is one of the newest members of the CFANS Alumni Society Board of Directors. She has a lot of advice and insight to share with current students and recent alums. Read more in our spotlight of Lana!
Greetings Fellow Alums!
If you are reading this then you have already taken your first step in staying connected with CFANS. I encourage you to stay connected and engage your fellow alums to do the same by getting involved. We have great things in store for you this year. Read more from Myah Walker '10.
- CFANS Mentor Happy Hour - September 10
Join fellow CFANS alumni & friends at the Campus Club to network and learn about the CFANS Mentor Program. The event is open to both current mentors and to those interested in learning more about the program. Bring colleagues and friends!
- Third Annual Celebrate Ag & Food Day - September 19
Celebrate Minnesota agricultural and food industries as Gopher football hosts Kent State! Join fellow alumni & friends at the free tailgate and visit activity tables around the stadium.
- CFANS at Gopher Homecoming - September 20-26
Join the CFANS community at the Homecoming Parade, the CFANS Beer and Brats Parade Party at the Bell Museum, and much more.
CFANS has great opportunities for alumni and friends to support current and prospective students. Through the CFANS Mentor Program, you can support students as they explore career paths, learn how to network and develop their professional skills. As an Alumni Ambassador, you can share your CFANS experiences with prospective students and their families. And at College Day this fall, you can meet and welcome incoming students over lunch. Learn more.
Join fellow alumni and friends in Italy this October to learn about about organic winemaking, traditional farming methods, modern enology and land management practices along spectacular views of the Mediterranean coast. Led by CFANS Associate Dean, Mike White, the opportunity is open to all who are interested. Please register by August 15.
Join us during homecoming week, September 20-26, for one (or all) of the many fun activities we have planned:
- Join us for our 4th annual Beer & Brats Parade Party at the Bell Museum with FREE admissions & brats, a cash bar, fun activities for all ages, and premium parade viewing space from the Bell's lawn on University Avenue.
- Join the CFANS float in the Homecoming Parade!
- Celebrate before the Homecoming football game at Ski-U-Mania 2015, featuring food from D'Amico, crowning of the Homecoming king and queen, Goldy, and much more.
- Send a Gopher Gram to a CFANS faculty or staff member
See our Homecoming page for all of the details and registration links.
The CFANS Alumni Society held its 12th annual Golf Scramble for Scholarships on July 10 at the University of Minnesota Les Bolstad Golf Course. Thanks to our Alumni Society Annual Program Sponsors, our silent auction donors, to our golfers, and to everyone who bid on an auction item we raised nearly $40,000 this year for scholarships, bringing our cumulative total raised to approximately $285,000! Learn more.
On June 9th, CFANS hosted leaders from PepsiCo to discuss the recent research collaboration between the University of Minnesota and PepsiCo. This has inaugurated a new model for the University of Minnesota and CFANS to explore opportunities for academic institutions and food companies working together. Learn more.
Read the latest about events, lectures and seminars happening on campus and in partnering departments as well as student and faculty news. Features this month:
- Audra Gerlach named new international alumni contact
- Food Science and Nutrition Club garners Institute of Food Technologists Student Association awards
- Department of Plant Pathology harvests for departmental history
- CFANS recognized at 2015 National Agricultural Alumni Development Association Conference
- University of Minnesota Law School applications soon open
- New Major for Fall - Sustainable Systems Management
- New Class Series Features University of Minnesota St Paul Conservatory
News and notes from our amazing CFANS alumni! Featured this month:
- Dale Miller ('72) awarded 2015 John B. Swisher Leadership Award
- Plant Pathology alumnus Robert Noyd ('95) publishes mycology guide
- Robert Johansson ('97, '00) named U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Chief Economist
- Tracy Lundberg ('00) and husband Brock Lundberg combine innovative business ventures
- Derek Mulhern ('12) named Director of Membership for Organic Trade Association
- Marissa Scherven ('15) shares her story in The Path to Plant Pathology
The monthly alumni trivia question gives alumni and friends an opportunity to test their U of M knowledge. Are you up for the challenge? All responders with the correct answer will be entered in a pool and the prize winner selected by random draw.
August alumni trivia question:
During a typical year, how many gallons of milk are served at the All-You-Can-Drink Milk booth at the Minnesota State Fair?
The University of Minnesota Alumni Association has launched new webpage called Gold Mind, a way for alumni to experience U of M faculty and alumni expert talks from anywhere in the world and in one place. Topics range from job search tips and food sustainability to setting a bedtime for your children. You are encouraged to visit and explore Gold Mind's many topics areas. There are currently 90 talks and UMAA will regularly add new items from existing University resources. They have scoured the University of Minnesota for the best content, but if you have ideas fitting the categories in Gold Mind, please email email@example.com for consideration.