The Student Development Committee advises and assists in the planning of programming that connects current CFANS students with alumni and supports students’ academic and professional development. This Committee supports Speed Networking events and the Senior Salute, co-hosted by the Alumni Society Board and the Student Board, and also assists in the selection of scholarship recipients each spring for Alumni Society Scholarships. This committee meets on an as-needed basis to prepare for the above events and conduct the scholarship selection process.
Education and Outreach
- The Classes Without Quizzes Committee provides input into the selection of topics and speakers for the annual event, and assists with the day-of activities including serving as a session host and assisting with event set-up and take-down. Committee members are requested to market and promote the event through their personal and professional connections. The committee meets approximately 6 -7 times throughout the year.
- The Science Achievement Award Committee members select the “book of the year” and help promote awareness of the program. Each committee member should also personally deliver at least one award in a school of his/ her choice. This committee meets approximately 3-4 times during the year.
Pride & Spirit
- The Homecoming Committee coordinates CFANS Homecoming activities, including Beer and Brats at the Bell prior to the Homecoming Parade, the CFANS Parade Unit and the Homecoming Tailgate, and provides access to football tickets. The Committee also supports these activities by promoting them to their networks and attending at least one of the Homecoming events. The Committee partners with the University of Minnesota Alumni Association to promote activities across shared platforms. The committee meets about 5 times over the summer and in early fall to prepare for Homecoming activities.
- The Recognition Committee functions to ensure recognition of our deserving alumni by helping to solicit and submit nominations for the annual Alumni Society Awards (recognized at Borealis Night) and contributing to nominations for the U of M Alumni Association’s annual awards. The committee supports the Borealis Night of Excellence Awards Event by encouraging attendance and volunteering on the evening of the event, held each spring in partnership with the Student Board. The chair of this committee will also act as liaison to the college’s Honors and Awards Committee. The committee meets 3-4 times over the course of the spring semester.
- The Golf Scramble for Scholarships Committee members are responsible for the overall planning of the event and have the option to take responsibility for a specific aspect of the Golf Scramble, such as the silent auction, recognition of sponsors, and promotion. Committee members often volunteer to help the day-of the event or even golf themselves. This committee meets approximately 4-5 times during the year.
- The Sponsorship Committee provides input and guidance to the development of the annual sponsorship proposal, identifies potential new sponsors and supports stewardship and recognition of current sponsors. The committee meets 4-5 times during the year.
Ad Hoc Committees
- The Young Alumni Committee (new) will plan events and programs that meet the social and professional needs of recent CFANS graduates. The Committee will work to expand the Young Alumni Network to reach more alumni in the Twin Cities and outside of the metro area. This committee meets about 5 times during the year.
- The Alumni Engagement Committee is responsible for identifying needs, strategies, and activities to cultivate alumni engagement. The Committee is charged with developing an alumni engagement plan that will be implemented by the Alumni Society. This committee meets on an as-needed basis during the year.
If you are interested in serving on any of these committees or related events and activities, please complete an information request form. Please contact CFANS Alumni Relations with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.