Transfer Student Orientation

All transfer students new to the University of Minnesota attend an on-campus orientation session. Orientation introduces you to CFANS and U of M programs and services. You'll also register for classes, receive advising assistance, and have a chance to meet other transfer students. Attendance at orientation is required if you're new to the U of M system.

Transfer Orientation

Follow these steps to get started:

  • Confirm your enrollment to the University of Minnesota (if you're transferring in from another university) by submitting your enrollment-confirmation form and the required fee. You can do this online through the Office of Admissions. Do this as soon as possible. You will not receive orientation information—or be able to register for orientation—until your confirmation fee has been received.

  • Activate your U of M Internet account.

  • Complete the University’s online orientation, where you'll also register for your CFANS orientation session. 

  • After you're admitted, complete whichever placement tests you're required to take, if any.

  • Additional details about CFANS orientation will be emailed to you before you attend.

Schedule for orientation: New U of M students are required to attend an orientation session. For CFANS students admitted for Fall 2019, orientation sessions are offered in July and August 2019. When you complete the online orientation you will select one of the following dates and we'll email you with all details:

  • July 16
  • July 18
  • July 22
  • July 23
  • August 19

Spring transfers: If your begin classes in spring semester, your orientation is held in January; you'll be contacted with details.

On your orientation day, be sure to bring the following items with you:

  • Your memorized U of M Internet ID and password
  • The name of your health insurance company and policy number
  • Cash or credit card for parking. Driving directions and parking locations.
  • Comfortable, weather-appropriate clothes and shoes
  • A photo ID so you can obtain your University of Minnesota ID card (called a U Card)

For additional information about transfer orientation, see the U of M's Orientation & Transition Experiences website.