Dean's Engaged Leaders Program
The Dean's Engaged Leaders Program (DELP) is an exciting opportunity offered to incoming first-year CFANS students who are committed to developing their potential as leaders in a multicultural society. This seminar is for whose who have a commitment to diversity and leadership in urban, rural, and natural environments.
The United States and our local communities are becoming increasingly multicultural and diverse. This comes at a time when concerns about our cities, our food systems, and the environment continue to capture news headlines. How do these trends fit together? What does it mean to build our community spaces through multicultural and civic leadership? How can we make a difference?
The Dean's Engaged Leaders Program provides a unique opportunity for CFANS students to explore these questions. DELP fosters the development of leadership skills in academic, social, and public service contexts, while emphasizing hands-on learning, real-world applications, and relationship building with peers and community leaders.
The Dean's Engaged Leaders Program provides the following opportunities:
- Year-long seminar class covering topics including, but not limited to, leadership, multiculturalism, and learning more about who you are through readings, discussions, and guest speaker
- Participating in a cultural immersion trip to the White Earth Indian Reservation and Itasca State Park
- Engaging with local cultural communities through other leadership and service-learning experiences
- Developing tools to identify your own personal leadership styles, strengths, and intercultural skills
- Exploring leadership connections locally, nationally, and globally
This seminar is open to all CFANS first-year students who have a commitment to diversity and leadership in urban, rural, and natural environments. This year, we will be accepting up to 30 students into the seminar, and we strive to create a diverse cohort of students who have different experiences and perspectives to share.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 Dean’s Engaged Leaders Program. The application process is entirely online and will require you to submit a short essay, as well as a summary of your extracurricular activities, leadership and cultural experiences.
To apply, visit either: http://z.umn.edu/DeansEngagedLeadersApplication or https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0VBTa0M740qor3v.
Videos from the Dean's Engaged Leaders Program
Panel discussion with MN state representative Rod Hamilton and retired World Health Organization leader Elisabeth Emerson
Student trip to White Earth and Itasca State Park