Assistantships and Fellowships



An assistantship provides financial assistance through part-time academic employment. Assistants are paid a stipend and/or receive tuition remission (free tuition) in exchange for tasks they perform for a faculty member, the department or the college. Teaching assistantships provide financial aid in exchange for teaching activities, such as helping a professor by conducting lab or study groups, preparing lectures and grading. Research assistantships pay you to assist a professor with his or her research.

Most assistantships are driven by faculty research or teaching needs, so it is best to contact your adviser to find out what opportunities are available in your department. You can find out about assistantships in other University colleges and departments by visiting the Graduate Assistant Employment Office.


Unlike assistantships, fellowships generally do not require you to work in exchange for aid. Fellowships are based on academic merit and usually cover educational and living expenses. Currently enrolled graduate students may apply for University-wide fellowships and/or external funding opportunities.