Pre-Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering
The Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering major is a joint program between CFANS and the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). You will spend your first 2 years in CFANS completing lower-division requirements (the "pre" program). Then you will transfer to CSE to complete your upper-division coursework.
The curriculum offers three areas of specialization:
- Bioproducts Engineering: Students design and develop engineering solutions for sustainable manufacturing and end-use applications of "green" products including biofuels, bioenergy, biodegradable plastics, building materials, paper and chemicals.
- Food Engineering: Students design and develop systems for production, processing, distributing, and storing food and agricultural materials. Applications include food safety and quality, biorefining, pharmaceuticals, and environmentally friendly packaging.
- Environmental and Ecological Engineering: Students focus on engineering applications to land and water resources, air and soil quality, land-use management, ecosystem services, ecological restoration, and waste management.
Students in this program are advised and taught by faculty in the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering.
The Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering curriculum provides a broad scientific and engineering background. It focuses on the molecular building blocks of renewable resources, and on the development of solutions for environmental issues affecting soil, water, and air.
The program produces graduates who:
- have a fundamental engineering background including mathematics, physical science, biological science, engineering science and design;
- serve the engineering needs of clientele in the areas of bioproducts, bioprocessing and food, and environment and ecology;
- are successfully employed in engineering jobs in industry, consulting, government, or academia;
- are engaged in professional development and lifelong learning.
For more information visit the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering website.
- Program Requirements and 4-Year Plans: See links above for details about each specialization.
- University Catalog
- Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering
- Career Opportunities
- Involvement Opportunities
130 Coffey Hall
130 Coffey Hall