CFANS Passport Program
The CFANS Passport Program helps students remove one of the first barriers to studying abroad: obtaining a passport. The program assists eligible first-time passport applicants with the application process, and also covers fees associated with obtaining a passport.
For the 2019-2020 school year, up to 15 CFANS students will be selected to participate.
Who is eligible?
Eligibility requirements for the CFANS Passport Program are as follows:
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities student
- Full-time degree seeking student in CFANS
- US citizen
- Age 18 or older
- Applying for your first passport (passport renewals are ineligible)
Preference is given to students who:
- demonstrate financial need by having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $15,000 or less for the previous or current academic year on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To determine your EFC you will need to access your Financial Aid Summary on MyU (see instructions on how to do so HERE, and then click "Financial Aid Summary" to view your EFC). If selected for an award, documentation of your financial aid eligibility will be requested.
- plan to participate on a learning abroad program during their undergraduate career at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- have Freshman or Sophomore class standing
- have transferred into CFANS from outside of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- are Land Grant Legacy Scholarship recipients
- are President’s Emerging Scholars participants
- are Diversity in Food and Natural Resources Scholarship recipients
If I’m accepted, what’s next?
If accepted, students must complete the following prior to Friday, November 1:
- Attend an in-person or online First Step Session through the Learning Abroad Center
- Schedule a Program Selection Advising appointment through the Learning Abroad Center or the CFANS Office of International Programs
- Schedule and attend a document verification meeting with a member of the CFANS Office of International Programs
How do I apply for the CFANS Passport Program?
The application contains one essay question. We recommend that applicants write their essay separately, and then copy and paste it into the application.
Essay Question: How would receiving a passport assist you in your academic, personal, or career goals? Please limit your response to 300 words.
Submit your application HERE by Sunday, September 29, 2019.
CFANS Passport Program Timeline
|Sunday, September 29||Application deadline. Late applications will not be conisdered.|
|Monday, October 7||
Students will be notified of their acceptance status by this date.
Accepted students will be sent detailed instructions outlining the process. Students are then responsible for gathering the required passport application materials.
|Monday, October 7 - Friday, November 1||
Students must complete the following:
Note: Students can also schedule their Program Selection Advising appointment and document verification together for one 45-60 minute meeting.
Upon completion of the 3 tasks, students will be allowed to schedule their 20-minute passport application processing appointment that will take place on November 20.
|November 20||Students will come in during their 15-minute scheduled appointment time for passport application processing. Students will receive their passports 4-8 weeks after the passport applcation is submitted.|