Health and Safety

Go Safe Logo Program health and safety

information is available at Go SAFE.

U of M International Emergency Phone Number

If you experience an emergency while traveling abroad, please call 612-301-2255. Your call will be answered 24-hours a day. Learn more about dealing with emergencies while abroad here.


Traveling anywhere naturally brings up health and safety concerns, no matter how seasoned a traveler you are. Personal responsibility is key to having a safe and successful experience. So is being prepared. International travel, health and security insurance is mandatory for study-abroad programs and is provided through Cultural Insurance Services International. Most students on University of Minnesota and affiliated programs through the Learning Abroad Center are covered by this policy. The cost of this insurance is most often included in the program fee, or arrangements can be made by the student to buy the insurance individually. Visit the international insurance web page for additional information.


It goes without saying that if you have certain health needs at home, you’ll also have them abroad. If you’re on a particular medication, talk to your health care provider to find out about bringing enough with you and how to carry it. Likewise, if you’re going to a tropical destination, you’ll probably need to bring sunscreen, and for rainy or cooler destinations, warm, water-repellent gear is advised. Use common sense, and start finding out early what preparations you need to take.


If you have a disability, don’t discount an international study program. The university will do its best to help. You can start by contacting the Access Abroad, a collaborative effort between the Learning Abroad Center and Disability Resource Center, to facilitate equal access for students seeking to pursue an education abroad experience and to provide information about accessibility at overseas sites.

What to bring

Most CFANS program leaders can detail any physical demands or challenges – for example, excessive heat, lengthy hikes or high altitudes – that might require special gear or certain precautions. Some leaders have specific lists of what students should plan to bring. Of course, talking with other students who have studied abroad on a similar program can be a great source of advice.

The most important thing to bring (besides a spirit of adventure, great attitude and open mind) is your passport and any other required travel documents. Draw up a checklist if one isn’t provided by your program leader to ensure you have everything you’ll need. For help figuring out what that might be, you can start with advice and resource lists from the Learning Abroad Center.

University Conditions

  • Regents Policy requires all students to purchase supplemental health insurance for study abroad programs that includes medical evacuation and repatriation coverage.
  • Students are held responsible to meet student conduct code, financial aid and the credit transfer process procedures.
  • No student may travel to a country or location designated as Level 3 or 4 by the U.S. Department of State unless a request for exemption has been made and approval received for travel through ITRAAC.
  • All students are required to read, sign and submit a Release & Waiver document prior to travel.

Main menu