Other Scholarships

In addition to the CFANS International Learning Grant, several scholarships are available to help finance University of Minnesota students' study abroad programs, including the Katherine E. Sullivan Scholarship for Study Abroad and others offered through the Learning Abroad Center. Graduate and professional students have options too, one to consider is the Walter H. Judd International Graduate & Professional Fellowships.

Outside-the-university options

Scholarships are available outside CFANS and the University of Minnesota specifically for international study. One is the Benjamin Gillman Study Abroad Scholarship, which offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. The program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. It is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are planning to study abroad.

The David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship for Study Abroad is offered by the National Security Education Program (NSEP) and provides scholarships to undergraduate students who wish to study languages and cultures considered to be important to U.S. national security. Through a competitive, national, merit-based annual competition, successful applicants distinguish themselves as highly motivated in their academic and career goals and in their strong commitment to public service. In return for support, award recipients agree to work in qualifying national security positions for at least one year. Students are not eligible to receive the Boren scholarship if they are studying in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom. Scholarships offered are as much as $20,000 for a full academic year.

Undergraduates interested in research abroad should consider applying for a Fulbright scholarship. Fulbright provides funding to students looking to complete a year-long post-graduation experience in a country of their choice. Opportunities include research projects, creative works or teaching English abroad. Over 100 countries participate in the Fulbright program, and over 1000 scholarships are awarded annually. Applications are due in August of the student's graduating year. E-mail natshol@umn.edu for more details.

Back to Grants and Scholarships

Main menu