It may say “retired” on Dr. Stanley Sahlstrom’s vitae under “present occupation” but it’s hard to believe. Beginning in 1942 with his first postcollege job as a high school vo-ag instructor in Marietta, Minnesota, to his Fulbright assignment to Cyprus in the early 1960s to develop agricultural education curricula, to his twelve years of service on the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents ending in 1997, Sahlstrom’s contributions and influence on agricultural education are recognized at the local, university and international level.
Raised on a Minnesota dairy farm, Sahlstrom graduated from high school in Onamia and earned his bachelor, master and doctorate degrees from the University of Minnesota. His academic career was interrupted by World War II when he served his country in active duty from 1942 to 1946. He subsequently served in the Army Reserve for thirty-six years, retiring as a full colonel in 1982.
From 1955 to 1965 he served at the then known St. Cloud Teachers’ College as director of field services and assistant to the president, developing relationships with high schools and colleges as well as state offices and the legislature. In 1965 he was invited by the University of Minnesota to develop a new campus in Crookston, Minnesota. Widely regarded by many as “father of the Crookston campus,” Sahlstrom secured funding for most of the buildings on the Crookston campus where he served as provost until 1985.