Two from CFANS named AAAS Fellows

November 23, 2015

pardeycohenTwo faculty members in CFANS -- plus a former administrator in the college -- have been named Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Philip Pardey, far right, professor in the Department of Applied Economics, and Jerry Cohen, right, professor in the Department of Horticultural Science, were announced today as new Fellows.

Carla Carlson, currently a special consultant in the Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, and former assistant vice president/chief of staff in one of CFANS' predecessor colleges, also is part of this year's group of Fellows.

Election as an AAAS Fellow is an honor bestowed upon AAAS members by their peers, and recognizes scientifically or socially distinguished efforts to advance science or its applications. The new Fellows will be formally recognized at the AAAS annual meeting in Washington, D.C., in February.

The newly elected AAAS Fellows were chosen in three AAAS sections:

Philip Gordon Pardey, professor, Applied Economics
Elected in the Section on Agriculture, Food and Renewable Resources for distinguished contributions to the field of agricultural economics, with particular emphasis on the economics of innovation, agricultural productivity and economic development.

Jerry David Cohen, professor, Horticultural Science
Elected in the Biological Sciences for innovative contributions to understanding auxin metabolism in relation to plant growth and for the development of sensitive analytical approaches to elucidating complex biological processes.

Carla Carlson, special consultant, Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, Elected in the Section on General Interest in Science and Engineering for seminal and distinguished contributions in fostering engagement between academic researchers, policy makers, students and the public on issues of sustainability, particularly in agricultural and biological sciences.

The tradition of AAAS Fellows began in 1874.